Recipe serves: 4
|Prep Time:||5 min|
|Cook Time:||45 min|
Chicken with 40 Cloves Garlic
- 4 lbs. whole chicken
- 2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup white wine or Knorr Chicken Broth
- 40 cloves garlic with skins left on
- Wash the chicken, then pat it dry with paper towel. Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with plenty of salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the whole chicken on all sides, turning it over as each side browns. Remove chicken from the pan and place it in a large casserole or dutch oven dish that can go into the oven.
- Pour the wine or broth into the skillet, stirring around to loosen the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add this liquid to the casserole with the chicken. Sprinkle with some thyme, a little rosemary, and throw in a couple of bay leaves.
- Toss the garlic cloves in with the chicken, cover the casserole tightly with a lid (or use foil if you don't have a lid that fits), and bake at 375º F (190º C) for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Don't peek while it's cooking!
- Serve the cooked garlic cloves along with the chicken - they turn squishy and delicious and are incredible when spread on some lightly toasted French or Italian bread (or just sucked out of their skins).